Saturday, November 1, 2008

"Halloween" and "All Souls Day"

Happy Halloween everyone!

This year's halloween isn't that fun and lively compared to the previous years. No, I never attend halloween parties at all but I enjoy the eerie atmosphere it brings whenever it's that time of the year. I love the combination of the colors orange and black in almost all decorations. Kids in different costumes brings smile on my face as well...

When I was a kid, halloween for me wasn't really about parties, costumes, decorations and candies. It is a solemn holiday or tradition that was passed on from generation to generation. My folks never call it "Halloween" but "All Souls Day". It is a day to remember our dead love ones. They say that it is the time of the year when the souls of the dead goes back to the earth to visit us who are still living.

I remember my mom cooking "biko with latik" every Oct 31st. She said that it was one of her mom's favorite food when she was still alive. Same with my dad's dad. I never had the chance to meet them at all. My grandparents from my mom's side both died before I was even born. Lolo Benedict died when my mom was only 16 while Lola Veronica died in 1977. Just a few years before I was born!

On my father's side, Lola Quirina died as well before I was born. Lolo Esteban died when I was still young. I don't even remember him at all. But I saw a picture of me with him on my 5th birthday. Wish he lived longer. Sometimes I wish they waited for me before leaving this world.

Anyway, I may not have had the chance to know them personally but my mom never failed to tell me stories about them... especially on All Souls Day. One time I asked my mom why her father died young. Well, I was thinking that he was young that time considering that my mom was only 16. She laughed. She reminded me that she is the 10th child of 11 children. When she was born, her dad's already old. For the record, my grandfather was born in 1886! My grandmother was born in May 11, 1901!!! Take note that I only use the word "grand" just once for each one!

Whenever I tell people when my grandpa was born, I always get the response, "No kidding?!" For most, someone born on that era could already be their grand grand grandparent. See the 3 "grands"! Haha! It still amazes me now to be honest.

Another amazing fact about them is that they were so-called "witch". They aren't the evil witch though as seen in most movies. My grandma may knew several crafts that some couldn't know but she was still a firm believer. Catholic by faith. According to my aunt, witchcrafting runs in our blood. My mom strongly opposes it though. I hope my mom won't get mad if she learns that I tried a few... Used it for good reasons anyway... Ooops!

Oh well, sometimes I feel my grandma is just around the corner teaching me every little thing she knows... it's as if she whispers me all the chants she knew. I may have not met her but I feel like I know her completely...

Weird but I am missing her... someone I never met yet in person in this lifetime...

Hmmmm... mom must be cooking biko again... I smell its sweet tangy aroma... Gotta get myself ready. My grandfolks gonna be here in no time!

Boo!


======================================================
First published in my MySpace Blog on November 1, 2008 at 10:08 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment