Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Guitar

The sun was high in the sky. It was one hot noon but not humid! Whew! Thank goodness! That's why I love "ber" months. Anyway, instead of going directly home to rest after a whole night of work, I decided to run some errands first. I knew that as soon as I reach home, I would feel so lazy to even go out and do some other stuffs aside from sleeping... My bed seem to always hypnotize me whenever I get near it...

And so there I was in a local grocery store a few blocks away from home. Prices of most goods had significantly increased! Geez! Inflation! It was no time to complain on the sudden price hike though. I just couldn't help but let a sigh out to see such enormous price increase of some necessities Somehow, I was still thankful that I could still afford not just my family's "needs" but as well as a few "wants".

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, I heard a man's voice calling my name... correction... my full name! The way he mentioned my name was in an upward intonation so I was sure he wasn't sure if it was really me though... First thing I thought of doing was ignoring this stranger. And be a snob! Haha! But as I turned around, I found myself facing a tall fair-looking guy.

"Bernardita? Hey, how are you? Ferdie..."

The voice was familiar but my memory failed to remind me whose voice was that. The face somehow looks familiar as well... He went on...

"I'm Ferdie... remember grade school? We were classmates in Bonifacio..."

Then I remember a chubby guy seated near me in second grade. He isn't that chubby now though and he has grown really tall... Anyway, he was that little boy who always roam around when our teacher wasn't around offering or selling things. And at that young age, I remember he talked about business. I thought he would be the best salesman in the world! Haha!

The next few minutes were spent catching up on some things. He is a lead guitarist in one of the bands playing in Southern Tagalog provinces such as Laguna, Batangas, etc. They never play here in the metro because of tougher competition. He invited me to watch one of his gigs. Told him I would try but in my current hectic schedule, I don't think I would have a time to go out of town just to watch them perform. Reason he was here in the metro? To visit his daughter.

It was a nice conversation. Somehow, I couldn't believe that he indeed plays the guitar. I never knew that he was into music at all. He is still soft-spoken the way he was. He never turned into a businessman though which I thought he would be. Haha! He also thought that I would be a lawyer but guess what? I am not! Haha! I am still happy with my current career though. I hope he is as well...

=====================================================
First published in my MySpace blog on November 19, 2008 at 1:34 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment